Clementine’s are the perfect fall fruit, light and sweet and remind you of spring & summer citrus. A recent tradition for our family is baking a Clementine Cake for our oldest son Jaden’s birthday. An avid fan of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Ben Stiller), this cake was featured in the movie by the main character’s mama (played by Shirley MacLaine). If you have never seen the movie, you must! It is a brilliant and inspiring watch. The Clementine Cake takes full center in a very memorable scene.
Here’s what you need:
We used the recipe found on Cathy Merenda’s site. She actually worked on the film! It turns out, the crew got its recipe from Nigella Lawson.
This really is a unique cake. It’s flourless, gluten free and has whole Clementines in it. Skin and all. It’s super easy to make and is delicious. Based on the Nigella Lawson recipe.
Here’s a bit of our process:
Candied Clementines must be left to dry.
My husband Eric is the true baker in the family. Though, our edges turned out a bit browner than preferred, the cake tasted AMAZING!
We need to perfect the icing, though it looks a bit rough… It still tasted good.
We packed it up to go for a Jaden Bday camping trip with T* and her family. The cake was a hit! There weren’t much leftovers the next day. Our teens said it was like having a “Starbucks Pastry for breakfast!”
Sooo… Good! R*
- 375 grams clementines (approximately 5 small)
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup (225 grams) white sugar
- 2 1/4 cups (250 grams) ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Butter and line an 8 or 9 inch springform pan with parchment.
- Poke each clementine 3 or 4 times with a knife. Put the clementines in a bowl with a microwave safe cover or plastic wrap. Cook on high for 3-4 minutes. Cool slightly then dump the clementines (whole) in a food processor and process until smooth.
- In large bowl beat eggs and sugar until light colored and doubled in volume (about 5 minutes)
- Add in chopped clementines and mix well. Then add ground almonds and baking power and mix until combined.
- Pour mixture into pan and bake for about 45 minutes (when a skewer will come out clean).
- Cool in the pan on a rack. Once cake is cold, remove from pan and pull off any parchment.
- Glaze and add candied clementines to decorate.
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 1/2 cup clementine juice
- Mix everything in a bowl adjusting clementine juice and sugar to make a loose but thick glaze
- 3 clementines
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- Slice clementines very thinly.
- Put sugar and water in a heavy bottomed pan on medium heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add clementine slices and simmer on low for about 15-20 minutes.
- Pull clementines from sugar mixture and place on parchment or silpat until cool.